Saturday, August 15, 2015

Tomato Avocado Melt


Tomato Avocado Melt
{VEGETARIAN}


The kids and I LOVE this yummy recipe. Through pictures, it might not look like the most appetizing thing ever, but just trust me on this one. Between the avocado and the Veganaise, it really balances out the kick from the cayenne pepper. On a side note, if you haven't given Veganaise a try or you're skeptical, I promise you it's worth trying. As far as the taste, I prefer it over mayonnaise and it's a slightly healthier alternative. I get mine at my local health food store but you can also find it at Publix! I also get the Ezekiel bread from the same health food store.






Start by slicing an avocado and 2 Roma tomatoes. As you may have noticed, I have two different kinds of tomatoes here (whoops!). I used a regular tomato to make extra for the kids, but normally I stick to just Roma tomatoes.





Place 4 slices of Ezekiel bread (or whole wheat bread) on a baking pan or broil pan. Spread Veganaise (or your favorite mayo) on each slice and sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Both of these can be measured by your preference. I usually prefer a little extra Veganaise than normal. Just remember, the more cayenne pepper you add, the spicier! (My kids don't like it very spicy)

Top each slice of bread with the sliced tomato, avocado, and one slice of Colby Jack cheese on each slice of bread. I'm a little OCD with the layout here, almost like I'm playing Tetris LOL.




Broil on HIGH for just 2 or 3 minutes. Keep a close eye, because these babies can burn pretty quick. I learned that the hard way...

VIOLA! A quick, healthy, and YUMMY lunch that even the kids will love. Please feel free to comment and tell me how you liked it if you made it for you and yours! :)







Ingredients:

4 slices of Ezekiel bread OR whole wheat bread
2 Roma tomatoes
1 avocado
4 slices Colby Jack cheese
2 tbsp Veganaise OR your favorite mayo
4 dashes cayenne pepper

{2 servings}

  • Thinly slice tomatoes and avocado
  • Line Ezekiel bread on a pan
  • Set broiler to HIGH
  • Spread Veganaise on bread and sprinkle with cayenne pepper
  • Top with tomatoes, avocado, and a slice of Colby Jack per slice of bread
  • Broil on HIGH for just 2-3 minutes
  • Let cool and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment