Monday, August 31, 2015

21 Day Fix Approved Buffalo Lettuce Wraps



I made these TWICE this week, guys! I love this recipe because it's incredibly simple, quick, and has a ton of flavor. There are a lot of ways to switch it up and make it a little different every time. Sometimes I'll top it with plain non-fat Greek yogurt (tastes JUST like sour cream - trust me on this one!) or if I want it really spicy, I'll add a tablespoon or two of sriracha sauce to the mixture.

So first of all YES, this is 21 DAY FIX approved. If you haven't heard of 21 Day Fix, you need to get in on this and message me for more info because the program completely changed my life. It taught me portion control and how to feed my body proper nutrition - which aids in weight loss. (Officially down 44 POUNDS by the way!) I have made this clean eating lifestyle the norm for my family and the kids LOVE all of my 21 Day Fix approved recipes. Secondly, I have to give some credit to my dear friend Sarah Grimo for introducing me to the original recipe! Sarah is a coach on my team that always has yummy and unique recipes to share. You can find her blog at { nerdifitmom.WordPress.com }




This recipe serves 3 people. My husband eats like a ravenous animal, though, so it might feed your family of 4 LOL. Start with 3 chicken breasts cut into small pieces and seasoned with Mrs Dash. I LOVE Mrs Dash. I use it on almost everything and they make several different blends. My favorite is Garlic & Herb! Cook the chicken in a medium skillet on medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes or until browned. You may also add fresh crushed or minced garlic to the skillet while cooking the chicken for some extra flavor.


Pour 3/4 cups of your favorite hot sauce into a small mixing bowl. I prefer Frank's RedHot Sauce. Add the cooked chicken, stir, and cover completely with the hot sauce. I like to let it sit for 5 minutes or so to really soak up the flavor of the sauce. Again, if you like it really spicy, feel free to add a tablespoon of sriracha sauce!


Use whole leaves of romaine lettuce as the "boat" for all of your toppings. First I added the chicken, then for fun I added organic corn and black beans. Then I topped that with some crumbled feta cheese to balance out the spiciness! Simple as that. Simple, delicious, and really versatile. Change it up - use different sauces, toppings, and garnishes. Last time I made these, I used the non-fat plain Greek yogurt on top! I normally measure with the 21 Day Fix portion control containers as I serve, but each serving (without Greek yogurt) is about 1.5 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, and 1 blue.

Try it out, let me know how you like it, be sure to share and comment! I will be making it a point to share recipes here at least once a week so stay tuned! :)




Ingredients:

1 head of romaine lettuce
3 chicken breasts
3/4 cup of hot sauce
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
Mrs Dash seasoning (to taste)
1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt (optional)
1/2 can of corn (optional)
1/2 can of black beans (optional)
Crushed/minced garlic (optional)

(3-4 servings)

  • Cut raw chicken into small pieces and season with Mrs Dash
  • Brown in medium skillet on medium-high heat (with garlic - optional)
  • Toss chicken in a small mixing bowl with hot sauce
  • Add equal parts of chicken, corn and beans (optional), Feta cheese, and Greek yogurt (optional) to each romaine leaf
  • Grab a cup of milk to combat that spiciness and ENJOY! :)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these tonight with fresh substitutions. Tastes GREAT, thanks for the inspiration! Cook time goes up a lot though... Dry beans cooked with an onion, 8 smashed garlic cloves, and juice squeezed from an orange (simmer together 1.5 hrs then remove onion); fresh corn cut from the cob (mixed into chicken/sauce); and I made a salsa in place of hot sauce (roasted 5 tomatoes, 2 jalapeƱos, 3 cloves garlic; pulse in blender to sauce consistency). You won't want that much garlic in the salsa for other uses (i.e. chips) but it was good with the chicken and corn. Beans and salsa salted to taste...

    -Jason (don't know why Google is calling me "unknown")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Where's the next recipe?

      Delete
    2. WOW! That all sounds awesome! I'l have to try it that way. New recipe will be up by Friday :) I've been slacking!

      Delete